#KeebWeebClub! ⌨

Eighty #391 Update - Freaking Flawless
Got my custom cable with aviator connectors!

Would you like some extra shilling with that order?

I said it in my other post (Post your shinny new things!) and I’ll say it here too:

Everything about this purchasing experience – customization, communication, shipping, physical product – either met or exceeded my expectations. I do not enjoy actual shopping (versus window shopping) and placing online orders; too much vulnerability with the merchant taking my money first and then delivering on their promise later, too many middlemen in the process from ordering to communication to delivery, and too much hassle with customer support if there’s an issue with my order. But from the moment I received a message from the seller exactly 25 minutes after I received my confirmation email, I got a good feeling about my purchase.

Message with “Abby Z,” of StrikerCables (Dec 23)
Not a half-assed generic message like “Hello and thank you,” or “We’ve received your order.”
But a definitive and professional promise: I will get started on this tonight.

That’s excellent news. That’s especially excellent news for custom cables, because I’ve been lurking (Reddit, Discord, rumors), and lead times for many custom cable vendors are disgustingly long. I am a patient person, but not so patient as to wait two months or half a year for a freaking cable. Put on your seatbeats, peeps, here’s me throwing vendors under the bus:

• Mechcables: Issues with communication and lead time. The last thing I want is to contact more people, especially online payment services like PayPal or my bank, just to get my order going. (Source: Reddit)
  • Rosecables: Their Discord is quiet, but the seller is active, responsive, and releases updates regularly. Unfortunately, they’re backed up on past orders, recently stopped accepting new ones, and shipping seems to be delayed. When people ask about ETA on their orders, the answer is usually 1-2 months. (Source: Discord)
  • Winnja: Significant issue in lead time. Apparently geo3 placed his order in Feb, and received it in May. Three months for simple straight aviator cables? Yeeeaaah… No thank you. (Source: LTT Post)

YMMV, of course. I will acknowledge that most my sources are sample sizes of one, but one terrible account is enough for me to distrust a custom vendor. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I specifically went for StrikerCables’ custom cable listing because I wanted some particular options with my cable, and by sheer process-of-elimination, theirs was the only Etsy listing that met my criteria:

• Matte Black Aviator Connectors : Many sellers offer custom cables fitted with aviator connectors, but most have the connectors in default chrome/silver, not black.
  • Long Coils: Shorter coils might work for compact keebs, but I’ve got a TKL and I want a purposely purchased addition to my keeb to augment my desk setup, not to be meek and overshadowed.

In terms of customizability, this particular custom cable listing offered a decent selection of colors, a very healthy selection of cable lengths, and more aviator connector options than I expected (GX12, GX16, and YC8). Here’s the setup I went for:

• Paracord: Black.
  • TechFlex: Black.
  • Heatshrink: Black.
  • Cerakote Color: Black.
  • Connector Accent: Black.
  • Device Type: USB-C.

Well, that was easy. Surely no one’s surprised by now? :rofl:

Exactly one week after I placed my order (Dec 30), the custom cable arrived in pristine condition.

Custom Double Sleeved Coiled Cable w/GX16 Aviator Connectors
That is the most genuinely pleasant smiley face I have ever gazed upon. :grin:

Black Cerakoted GX16 Connector + 8" (20 cm) Coil
Coils are tight. Finishes are clean. Colors are sharp. :ok_hand:

Eighty #391 + Custom Cable
All systems go!

Eighty #391 + Custom Cable + Danbos
I think Danbo enjoys it too. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Current Desk Setup - Top-Down Perspective
Do Danbos Dream of Boxy Sheep? :ram:

Need to remind myself to leave a glowing review on their product page. Too busy shilling, haven’t started on that yet. 20x20

Absolutely. Freaking. Flawless.

4 Likes